Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Learning from Each Other

Here’s what I got to do yesterday: have a conversation with a fellow professional in which we shared our enthusiasm about what we do, and both learned things from each other. Brainstorming about how to approach a testing problem led us to interesting and valuable conversations with each other. It was a thoroughly enjoyable morning.

And that experience seems to be what Corey Haines has day by day on his Journeyman Tours. In his blog, On Being a Journeyman Software Craftsman, he shares those conversations. I’m writing this post to draw your attention to his interview with JB Rainsberger on the evolution from Test First Programming to Test Driven Design. [TDD – which I’ve seen spelled either Test Driven Design or Test Driven Development – is a topic I expect to address more in the future.] As a side note, JB Rainsberger wrote the tremendously useful volume, JUnit Recipes, a book that earned a spot on my desk when I was testing XML in a Java test harness.

Travelling around, talking to people whose professional work is something you’d like to learn from. How cool is that? Inspired by Corey Haines, I’ll try to carve out time for those learning opportunities.

No comments:

Post a Comment